Want a fun activity for your class that promotes communication, collaboration, critical thinking, problem-solving and creativity? Check out BreakoutEDU Digital Online Escape Games!
What is it exactly?
- An online digital escape game co-founded by Justin Birckbichler and Mari Venturino
- Based on the BreakoutEDU kit educational games from James Sanders & Mark Hammons
- All is organized and played on one website
- Google Forms are used to make the locks (using data validation) and embedded into Google Sites
- Games promote problem-solving, collaboration and can tie into any curriculum area
- Find online clues that unlock the different types of locks in the Google Form on the site (you don’t need to find the locks in any particular order!)
- Click around, find links, read carefully and use your “escape room” mindset to break out
- All you need is an internet connection and a link to one of the games
Give it a try!
I’ve created two bilingual similar (but not identical!) games for a recent conference presentation. Feel free to try them out yourself or with your students.
English version: Converse Confusion (bit.ly/converseBOD)
French (FSL) version: Le méli-mélo des Converse (bit.ly/conversefr)
Here are some photos of TDSB Google Camp attendees posing after successfully breaking out!
I made the posters for the purpose of posing for celebration photos. You can find the folder to download and print them here or by clicking on the shared folder below.
As I mentioned above, these games are an amazing way to promote collaboration, problem-solving, communication, teamwork, critical thinking, creativity for students…and the list goes on!
I also love that as I listen to conversations while my students are playing, I can immediately hear:
- Who my leaders are
- Who needs to work on leadership skills
- Who needs to work on growth mindset
- Who my good communicators are
- Who thinks outside the box
- Who gives up right away (this has never actually happened because they’re always so engaged and eager to figure it out!)
For more online escape games check out the BreakoutEDU Digital site and the Sandbox for crowdsourced games by teachers like you and me! Sylvia Duckworth has also created some amazing TEAM Digital Breakouts with a Canadian theme (both French & English versions, too!), check them out and read all about it here.
If you’d like to know more and learn how to make BreakoutEDU Digital online escape games yourself please check out my presentation slide deck below inspired by bit.ly/dboslides & www.breakoutedu.com/digital
Thanks for reading. Happy breakout’ing, hope you enjoy these online escape games!